Glassell Park borders Atwater Village and the Los Angeles River on the west, the city of Glendale on the northwest, Eagle Rock on the northeast, Mount Washington on the southeast and Cypress Park on the south. The district’s boundaries are roughly the city of Glendale on the north, the Los Angeles River on the west, Division Street on the southeast, El Paso Drive and York Boulevard on the northeast.
The neighborhood is split between Los Angeles City Council District 13 and District 14, with a small portion in District 1. It is part of California’s 31st congressional district, lies within zip code 90065, and the area code is 323.
Located 5 miles north of Downtown Los Angeles, thoroughfares running through Glassell Park provide relatively easy access to most parts of Los Angeles, including the San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley. The Glendale Freeway runs through the neighborhood, connecting with the Ventura Freeway to the north and with the Golden State Freeway to the south and terminating shortly thereafter at Glendale Boulevard. Plans had originally called for the freeway to extend to Santa Monica. Major arterial streets include Eagle Rock Boulevard and San Fernando Road. Glassell Park also has a designated bike lane along Eagle Rock Blvd. south of York. There is a movement to connect these bike paths with a larger grid.
The land that would later become Glassell Park was originally part of Rancho San Rafael, granted in 1784 to Spanish army corporal José María Verdugo. Attorney Andrew Glassell received part of Rancho San Rafael from the lawsuit known as the Great Partition of 1871. Glassell eventually settled in the area with his family, for whom many streets, including Toland Way, Drew, Andrita and Marguarite Streets are named.
The development of Glassell Park began in the early 20th Century, as subdivisions between Verdugo and San Fernando Roads began to be sold in 1907. In 1912, the city of Los Angeles annexed most of Glassell Park, annexing the remainder in 1916. The Glassell family continued to subdivide their land, selling off what is now Forest Lawn Memorial Park during the Great Depression. The growing neighborhood was served by a line of the Los Angeles Railway, which traveled in the median of Eagle Rock Boulevard towards Eagle Rock. Today, Glassell Park is rediscovering its history from the Verdugo era. Glassell Park also hosts the historical road of trade between the Verdugo Rancho and the fledging Pueblo of Los Angeles. This road is called Verdugo Road, which historically met up with San Fernando Road.
Today Glassell Park is largely working class, Latino, White, and Filipino. The neighborhood has been significantly affected by the Southern California real estate boom that began in the early 2000s. An influx of middle-class families have moved into the neighborhood, attracted by the abundance of Craftsman homes and relatively low prices.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
Glassell Park Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Glassell Park
- 3594 Canada Street Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3140 Verdugo Road Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3937 Verdugo View Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3030 Valle Vista Drive, Unit 32 Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3023 CARLYLE Street Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3217 Mccarthy Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
Sold Listings in Glassell Park
- 2703 W Avenue 32 Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2723 W Avenue 31 Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3741 Division Street Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2802 & 2804 W Avenue 32 Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2652 Moss Avenue Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2631 W Avenue 32 Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3710 Brilliant Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2065 Rome Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3941 Eagle Rock Boulevard, Unit 37 Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3355 Holyoke Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3610 Kinney Street Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2044 Panamint Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3217 McCarthy Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 2952 Valle Vista Drive Glassell Park, CA 90065
- 3228 Estara Avenue Glassell Park, CA 90065
Glassell Park School Data
Glassell Park School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
Glassell Park Schools
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school data. Please check back soon.